How to get into Road Racing
Twickenham CC Racing
Twickenham Cycling Club is primarily a racing club and is affiliated with British Cycling along with a number of regional leagues.
Current club members participate in both road and circuit events across the region racing at local circuit’s such as Hillingdon, Hog Hill, Crystal Palace and Cyclopark (Kent) as well as participating in a number of Surrey League, SERRL, and Women’s National Team Series races.
Once you have decided you would like to give racing a go, all you need to do is get a race licence and get yourself to a race!
You will need a British Cycling Silver membership and the Race Licence making sure you list Twickenham CC as your first name club. All your results and points are managed through the British Cycling website and you can also view how the club is standing against other clubs in the region, country etc. All your points count towards your club
We are often asked about the points system and what you have to do to work your way up so here is an easy (ish) guide.
British Cycling Categories
• 4th Category – A new junior or senior licence holder.
• 3rd Category – Any junior or senior licence holder who has gained 12 points during any one season whilst holding a 4th category licence. Note: Riders are never downgraded to 4th category once a 3rd category licence has been achieved.
• 2nd Category – Any junior or senior licence holder who has gained 40 points during any one season whilst holding a 3rd category licence. To retain a 2nd category licence for the following season, a rider must obtain at least 25 points in events open to that category of rider.
• 1st Category – Any junior or senior licence holder who has gained 200 points during any one season whilst holding a 2nd category licence. To retain a 1st category licence for the following season, a rider must obtain at least 100 points in events open to that category of rider.
• Elite Category – Any Senior licence holder who has gained 300 points during the previous season whilst holding an Elite or 1st category licence.
Licence points run until 30 November each year when they are reset to zero – any points gained from 1 December (e.g. in Winter Series criteriums) go onto the following year’s licence.
The Surrey League
The Surrey League is an organisation set up to co-ordinate racing amongst clubs in Surrey and beyond. Thanks to the effort and dedication of the Surrey League, we have the best programme of racing in the UK on our doorstep. Twickenham CC is affiliated with the League and many of our riders, male and female race at the Crits and Road Races organised by the League. As a part of this membership Twickenham organise three road races in the calendar. These make up the Ottershaw Series, which is generally the last races of the season.
If you are interested about racing under the Twickenham CC banner please drop by on Tuesday nights or email [email protected]